Monday, July 16, 2018

Ruminations on Pregnancy Number 2


Today officially marks the start of my six month maternity leave for baby #2.  With great benefits at salesforce, I have been able to take three weeks off prior to my due date (okay that is actually thanks to CA state law) and six months off after Gerken arrives (thanks to salesforce).  I rolled into the day by sleeping in until 7am (thanks to Oskar and Martin’s 3am bathroom party and subsequent late wake-up) and a croissant and tea at Victoria Pastry Company.   

With some time to myself, I have been able to reflect on the past few months… below are a few of my ruminations of being pregnant the second time around:
  • I gave up almost immediately and started wearing maternity clothes as soon as I made the announcement. It would have been hard to explain the elastic waist pants earlier.
  • I bought a maternity swimsuit around 4 months for all of my upcoming travel. I automatically sucked in my stomach when trying it on... old habits die hard
  • Around 4 months was also when Martin started getting really busy at work and started working late at his office.  I took the opportunity to start watching Mad Men... it might have been a bad choice... Martin working late at the office + a show about men “working late” as a cover for cheating on their wives + pregnancy hormones = a slightly paranoid pregnant wife
  • At some point in the second trimester, Oskar developed sympathy pregnancy cravings: he greeted me in the bathroom one morning eating a pickle and pear, one in each hand
  • It was also around this time that I officially reached a new low: I found a nacho cheese Dorito in my scarf... and ate it.
  • At around 24 weeks, I was informed that I smelled like a dirty hippie. The belly rub cream I bought from Honest Company was the culprit. I wasn’t a fan of the smell but I figured it was just my super sensitive pregnancy nose. Nope, McKane pointed out the terrible smell within hours of seeing each other. I had been using it for a few weeks and Martin never told me! His excuse, he figured it was good for the baby.
  • At 25 weeks, I went on a “babymoon” with the Zurich girls. My flight home from the weekend was overbooked and they were offering $1,500 to anyone willing to take a later flight (enough to get the family to Hawaii or one ticket to Europe). I wouldn’t even consider it, I was so excited to see my boys.
  • During the second trimester, I also had to stop taking Oskar to school by myself… he wanted to be carried and I could no longer manage the additional weight so Martin joined us in the morning routine.  That, plus sometimes when I walk too fast I grunt like Ma from the Goonies.
  • At five months pregnant with baby #2, I no longer trusted a half full bladder
  • I welcomed the third trimester with a half pint sniss and a handful of tums
  • The third trimester also brought on the following realization… While looking forward to not being pregnant I realized that in ten weeks I will have two kids. I am equal parts terrified and excited
  • At 32 weeks with an untreatable sinus infection. I couldn’t help but wonder: when will I feel like myself again? Is it 8 weeks? 6 months? 2 years or more like 18 years?
  • At 34 weeks Martin has been sleeping on the couch for the past few weeks since I am apparently snoring like a truck driver. I actually heard it myself and don’t blame him. 
  • It was also around this time I got a Granny Fran special with the exchange below:

Granny Fran (at brunch at my parent’s house as I am taking my second helping of quiche): “So Lisa how much weight have you gained?

Me (stifling a laugh as everyone else is dying to see how I respond): “You know Granny, I have been dying for someone to ask me that.

Granny: “Well?

Me: “You go first.... how much weight did you gain when you were pregnant?


Granny: “18 lbs

Me: “I am right around there, I am currently at 15 lbs

Granny: “Well I started out at 105

Me: “I started out a little higher than that.

Granny: “Plus you have six more weeks to go...

Me: (speechless)

To be fair I am not even insulted. With all of her health issues recently I am just happy she hasn’t lost her zing.
  • And finally with less than 3 weeks to go, I have finally started nesting.  Oskar, Martin and I spent last weekend setting up the nursery, washing the newborn clothes and getting ready for the arrival of the newest family member.  And while I am sure Oskar still doesn’t quite understand what is about to happen (even though he kisses the belly and takes about the baby) I am excited to see him become an older brother.


No comments: