Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Aussie Uncle Greg

Good friendship last forever, pick up where you left off like no time has passed and continue to evolve as your lives change directions through moves, relationships, jobs, marriage and children. It is these friendships that you have to cherish and enjoy when you get a chance. And this past weekend I realized how lucky I am to have it not only with my girls but a few men I have known along the way, including Aussie Greg.

I have known Greg for almost 20 years and have had some incredible experiences and memories with him: debachery in Costa Rica, visiting him in Australia, my first visitor after moving to Zurich and him coming to our wedding in SF. Our friendship has been based on a mutual love for travel, good beer and fun times with friends... so I was little worried about him coming to stay with us given the significant change in my lifestyle over the past 20 years. I mean, when planning for his visit we were talking about having a big night out and my current bedtime is around 9pm.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about... I think it did help that he was slightly jet lagged (after flying in from Japan) and was battling a slight cold.

We spent Saturday around the house (thanks to the rain), and in the break in weather, Oskar showed him one of our two playgrounds, we grabbed Chinese food for dinner and wrapped up the evening with beers at home. And I was still in bed by 9pm. We caught up like no time had passed since we last saw each other. And even better Oskar became his instant shadow…waiting at the door Sunday morning for him to wake up, walking down the streets with him saying “wait for me Greg” and making Greg play with his him and his toys.  It didn’t take long for Aussie Greg to officially morph into Uncle Greg.

And, like all family members, we have promised Oskar that we will go to Australia to visit him next.


No comments: