Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Australia (2003)

As noted before, through happenstance, my group of college girlfriends became friends with a group of guys from Australia.   And after three years of winters with them visiting us girls in Cal Poly, I returned the favor and visited them in Australia!

During my first trip Down Under, I got the chance to meet their families and get a taste of their lives at home. I have already written about the time spent in Sydney so consider this the missing stories from that trip.

We landed in Australia first thing in the morning and were picked up by Ryan (we were to stay at his house for our time in town and during this time, I fell in love with his parents, Lindy and Peter.)  Ryan was kind enough to give us an hour to shower and unpack before we loaded up the car to go surfing.  The beach was about an hour’s drive away in one of the many national parks and the surf was apparently good. 

All of the guys (Greg and Adam joined us as well) suited up, handed me my board (the shortest thing I have ever seen) and we made our way to the waves.  To be fair, this was not my first time surfing (I had been out a few times with my dad in Santa Cruz and had played around in the waves in Hawaii) but I actually wasn’t planning on really surfing, just paddling out and sitting on the board so I could hang out with everyone.  So I did just that: I paddled out and hung out with the guys while they caught a few waves.  But I eventually got cold and decided to head back in to lay on the beach.  As I paddled back to shore, one of the guys yelled “watch out Pep, there is a serious shore break.”  Yeah, yeah, I thought, I got this.  But no, I did not have this.  A few yards from the beach a massive wave came up and pummeled me to the ground.  By the time I stood up another wave took me out.  That shore break really was no joke.  I finally made it out of the water with very little dignity still intact and covered in sand… I was still digging sand out of my hair two days later.   And true to Aussie form, the guys still give me shit about it.  

Thankfully that was our only day of surfing.  We spent two more days in Sydney with the guys and then headed north to explore Airlie Beach and take a two night sailing cruise to the Whitsunday Islands. 

From there, we began making our way back to Sydney with a detour to Newcastle which we used as a home base for wine tasting in the Hunter Valley region.  Wine tasting in Australia was awesome.  Every winery we went to we were able to speak to the actual wine makers and hear directly from them about their grapes and wines.  And at each tasting, we somehow discussed how I was going to start my job as an accountant shortly after the trip ended... to which everyone seemed shocked.  I clearly didn’t fit the normal stereotype of an accountant… little did they know I would become the world’s dorkiest accountant.

We wrapped up the trip of Australia with one more night in Sydney with the guys and our new extended family.  Thankfully my promises to return and keep in touch were not empty.  Now I just need to get the kiddos over there!

No comments: