Sunday, January 2, 2022

Culinary Tour

On one of the last nights with Martin’s parents in town, Ernst made the comment that it wasn’t too long ago that the only type of food you could get in Germany (or at least their part of Germany) was German food.  It got me to thinking of all of the yummy food we had eaten over the past 3 weeks and how much I take for granted the options and variety that comes with living in San Francisco. 

During their stay, we ate: sushi, dim sum, Nepalese, Mexican, French, Italian, American, German, Swedish and Danish.  We ordered food in from amazing local restaurants and cooked delicious meals at home. We had seafood, meat fondue and even a vegan pasta dish.

We truly took a culinary tour of the world! 

But quite possibly the highlight for me was having Annegret and Meike ask for not 1, not 2 but 3 of my recipes!  This is the same Annegret who is quick to remark when something isn’t for her.  So when she wants a recipe, I have to assume it was a good one.  The three winning recipes:

Earl Grey Tea Cake

Cranberry Lemon Bars

Green Chili Pork Tacos

In addition to asking for recipes, they gave me kudos for the Pineapple Chicken I made up in Timber Cove (praise not given directly to me, but rather discussed in German to each other while I was doing the dishes… little do they know that while I don’t understand much German, I do understand Food German). Confirmation of my cooking abilities might have been the best present ever.

Just one of the amazing meals we had... I ordered enough Dim Sum for two meals!


No comments: