Monday, January 3, 2022

World Traveller?

Speaking of travelling the globe… Not to toot my own horn, but I might be considered a world traveler? Or at least I was one in my previous, pre-kids life.

With Christmas money from Aunt Nancy and Uncle Larry (thank you both!) I bought the National Geographic “1,000 Perfect Weekends” book to both day dream about the days when we can travel abroad again and to brainstorm about potential weekends in California and nearby that we can do in the near future.

I am super excited about a few places for me and the family to check out (which are included below), but more than anything I was surprised by how many places I have already been to. So far I have visited more than a few locations from their various Top Ten Lists: 

And then there were those locations that warranted a little more than a top ten mention in the book for which I am lucky enough to have visited, including: Valparaiso (although why everyone seems to love this city is lost on me), Bend Oregon (clearly should also be mentioned in top ten Food Destinations, but I suppose Cody hasn’t opened his restaurant yet), South Tyrol (having visited too many times to count), the Torres Del Paine W Trail in Patagonia, the Dordogne region in France (thanks to Martin for planning an amazing trip for my 30th), the Napali Coast State Park in Kauai, Balboa Park in San Diego, the Giant’s Causeway in Ireland, two of the stops on my African Adventure with my mom including Durban and the Zulu kingdom and Kruger National Park, hiking in Truckee and last, but definitely not least, the weekend getaway of a Bridges, Bay and Bluffs road trip on Hwy 1 (for which we did every weekend during the first year of COVID).

While I would clearly love to tackle all of the remaining spots in the book such as those in New Zealand, Asia or even the East Coast or South, I have become somewhat of a realistic (also known as a really tired mom).  So I have set my sights on the following few for the upcoming year or two: Sedona (for both the red rocks and the spas), Jacksonville OR (known for its laidback and ecofriendly wine region) and possibly taking a ride on the Cascades Amtrak (which is one of the Top Ten Train Rides).  And when we finally make it over to Europe for an extended vacation I would love to go camping with the kids at D’Olde Kano Andean in the Netherlands and then sneak away with Martin to either Tivoli Rome, Schloss Elmau in Germany or Terme di Saturnia in Italy.

I guess what I am trying to say is I have been pretty lucky so far and yet there is still plenty to see and dream about.

And if you want to save yourself the money of buying the book feel free take my travel advice instead by reading the blog.

No comments: