Monday, February 6, 2023

Change of Plans Yet Again

I wrote the previous post Thursday night while sitting alone at the hotel bar drinking a gin and tonic and eating a cheeseburger. It was exactly what I needed: a place where I didn’t have any expectations or obligations, where I wasn’t defined as a mom, wife, coworker, employee, friend, functioning adult.  I could just be the “gin and tonic” at the bar. 

By Friday morning Ange was knocking on my hotel door and Dana showed up later that afternoon. My 48 hours of wallowing in self pity and crying quickly morphed into a girls night away. 


I am still not 100% sure how it happened, although it appears I accidentally invited Ange when I arrived Thursday afternoon. And while I tried to rescind the offer after a glass of wine later that night, it was too late, the wheels were in motion.  And when she showed up at 10:30 am asking about the espresso martini machine at the bar, I knew I needed to call in assistance.  Unfortunately, while Dana was a good drinking buddy for Ange, she also showed up stating that she was “ready to drink whiskey and get in a bar fight.”


So much for having a moment of peace to breathe.  


Fake bitching aside, their company was a good distraction and a much needed slap to pull myself together. Yes, things are sad right now but in perspective I am going to be okay. I still have a great job while many don’t, I have a great team and an amazing family and group of friends.


No comments: