Thursday, June 8, 2023

First Impressions

When I left Salesforce I had three amazing things told to me that have stuck


  1. When asked how I will introduce myself to the new team and company, a friend in Treasury suggested “hi I am Lisa, I like dive bars and fast food” 

  2. When each team member went around and gave their favorite Lisa memory at our last team meeting, more than a few referenced nights of karaoke to which Cody expanded “like work and karaoke, both of which have no business being fun, you always seem to make things a little more fun”

  3. And finally, more than a handful of team members joked that I either should (or shouldn’t) be too authentic too early since it would most likely result in one too many HR violations and me getting fired (some were rooting for this so I would come back). 


And so it is with this context that I think I might have overshot it and given the wrong first impression at work. I am pretty sure they all think I am a mountain loving, bike riding outdoorsy type mom who is more on the buttoned up accounting side of the spectrum than the hot mess, dive bar going, HR violating, karaoke singing person I am deep down. I suppose this is what is expected of a C Suite executive and I need to embrace it. 


I can and will at least correct them in the mountain side of things.

 

No comments: