Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Vino Del Mar - The Garden CIty

I am surprised and slightly insulted that while everyone was singing the praises of Valpo, not one of our friends stopped us and told us about Vino Del Mar.  Just five minutes away, Vino Del Mar proved to be the haven from the chaos I was looking for.

After a full day of exploring Valpo, we took a quick bus ride up the coast to the next city and immediately felt cheated – we should have stayed here instead.  While the beaches were not necessarily picturesque (check out the tanker in the background), sun bathers and beach goers were still enjoying the sun and waves.   


In sharp contrast to Valpo, every street was nicely paved, stray dogs were at a minimum and we had our option of countless parks to sit in silence in the shade of noble old trees to contemplate life. 

They even have a statue from the Easter Islands!

It was at the Quinta Vergara park, aside the old palace and under a beautiful tree that I was able to reflect on the trip so far and begin putting my thoughts onto paper.  Fully engaged in my notebook and the calm surroundings, an hour later it saddened me that I had to go back to the chaos of Valpo for one more night. 

Our little garden of eden
I would like to believe I am more forgiving and maybe Valpo is one of those cities that takes a local experience to appreciate, but I was done.  It took the promise of ice cream on the beach to get me off of that park bench and moving in the direction of home.

No comments: