Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Americans in the Azores (2002)

My first truly international travel experience was with the family to the small island chain in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean called the Azores.  From genealogy research done by my mom, we determined that my dad’s family was from the island of Terceira and we were going to check out our heritage. 

I only remember portions of the trip, but the memories are definitely vivid.  The trip began and ended with food at the airport and revolved around food pretty much in between (which is great if you are a foodie like me and Cody, not so great if you are my sister who was getting over food poisoning from two nights before we left.  She was pretty much miserable the entire trip). 

While waiting with anticipation for our first intercontinental flight ever, we became more than slightly distracted by an elderly woman also waiting for her flight…she had pulled out a plastic shopping bag which contained an ear of corn and proceeded to eat the entire thing sitting at her gate.  I have heard of buying food at the airport and was new to the idea of bringing your own food for a flight, but I had never considered corn on the cob a food to take on the go.  Needless to say, when we saw the option to buy corn on the cob on the side of the road on one of the islands we had to take the opportunity as homage to the little old lady who clearly left a lasting impression.


We spent our vacation on three of the nine islands starting with Sao Miguel.  It was here that we were first introduced to caipirinahs, the Brazilian specialty.  Our hotel was two blocks off the main square in Ponta Delgada and every night (or at least it seemed) the town came to the square to enjoy music, drinks and the social scene at what can best be described as a night market/party.  The loudest and busiest stall was the Brazilian one which sold caipirinahs.  We were hooked. 


After getting introduced to the locals’ favorite drink, Cody introduced the locals to Bloody Mary’s.  Again, the details are fuzzy, but Cody and I somehow ended up going out dancing and bar hopping with some of the locals who worked at the hotel where we were staying.  It seemed like a pretty tame night and when asked by our parents, we gave the cursory response of “it was fun”.  But apparently Cody made an impression because later the following day, every waiter and bartender from the hotel stopped by and exclaimed “Cody!” as an approving friend or admirer would. 


And it wouldn’t be a trip without my dad also making a lasting impression as well.  Our first full day in town on Sao Miguel we went exploring.  I am not sure what prompted him, but my dad decided to walk down the boat ramp to feel the water in the harbor.  Three inches into the water and he hit a slimy patch.  He slid completely into the water, re-emerging covered in salt water and a green algae.  To add to his new look, while eating lunch later that day, my dad managed to splash red sauce from his octopus meal all over his white (now green and red) shirt.  If our shoes didn’t already let people know, we were clearly American tourists. 

It was also during this trip that I began to appreciate the variety of foods that I had been exposed to living in California.  While on the islands, we learned that the main staples of their diets were salted cod and linquinsa and options for fresh produce were limited… I also learned the European style of eating a salad (sans Ranch dressing.)   After a week plus of eating the same thing, our desire for something different reached a new low when we spent our last night of the trip at a Chinese Food restaurant and we ran to the closest Burger King when we landed in Boston during our lay over. I like to think I have improved in this regard.


Other highlights included a beautiful walk to Lagoa das Sete Cidades (two very different lakes, one green and one blue, separated by a narrow strait), a tour of the island of Fayal with some family friends which wrapped up with us cooking our dinner on hot stone plates (the first I had seen) and some serious bonding with the family. 



Yes, my first trip abroad left a lasting impression and began to open my eyes to the world and my heritage…Our trip to the Azores made me realize that I inherited some of the good but also some of the less desirable aspects of each nation I was from.  For instance I unfortunately inherited hairiness from Portugal (which is a great combination with the pale white from Ireland). 

No comments: