Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Brazil/ Argentina (2004)

I am not sure why or how I chose to go to Brazil and Argentina… there must have been an email and package deal because somehow we had flights and hotels booked for a 7 night vacation to Buenos Aires and Rio de Janerio.  

I had previously gone to Europe and Costa Rica, but this trip felt like my first real trip abroad, to someplace exotic and completely different. In hindsight, during the trip I was so overly cautious about everything, avoiding certain neighborhoods, being out at night, etc. that I am sure I missed out on quite a bit... if I only knew how my caution (or soon to be lack thereof) would change over the years.

According to the pictures from the trip, we did the following!

Toured the different neighborhoods in Argentina, found a flea market and saw an impromptu tango show on the street. 

Shopping in Buenos Aires

Checking out the local soccer stadium
Enjoyed Chandon champagne (clearly unaware or concerned at the time about drinking the local wines) at a dinner and Tango show…. It was also possibly my birthday? 


We had a friend of a friend, Marcelo, show us around Rio, checking out his favorite spots including the best Brazilian BBQ spot, a hike through the rain forest in the middle of the city, an introduction to acai bowls and a crazy night out on the town.

Marcelo (second from the left) and his friends

We took the cog wheel train to Christ the Redeemer… it was foggy




We also went to the top of Sugarloaf…foggy once again.


Argentina and Brazil was a quick trip and I truly feel like I didn’t get a chance to fully experience either country due to the limited time and being so timid to wander off the beaten path.  Thankfully, I got a chance to experience South America properly just a few years later with our trip to Chile.  

No comments: