Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Future Mustangs

Growing up, my family spent a lot of time down in San Luis Obispo. My parents had gone to Cal Poly and we still had family down in the area, plus my dad liked to surf at Pismo Beach, so at least once a year we found ourselves on the Central Coast (typically in Pismo the week of Thanksgiving). Over time the place became like a second home for me and so when it came time to choose a college I naturally decided I would go to Cal Poly like the rest of my family.

This past weekend, we hopefully started to create the same memories, fondness and de facto college decision for Oskar (and eventually Alva) of San Luis Obispo and Cal Poly. It doesn’t hurt that both Cassidy and Blake are already talking about carrying on the family legacy of also becoming Mustangs.

It truly was the perfect SLO weekend:

We spent time on the beach at Pismo, playing in the sand, "watching" my dad surf and introducing Oskar to a longboard. 



We took a trip to campus to see the horses, tractors, and local market


We hit up all of the best restaurants including Firestone’s, Del Monte CafĂ© and Big Sky (on Thursday night followed by a quick peek at Farmers Market)


We spent time with the family at the house and were able to watch one of Livi’s soccer games


We also made some new memories with the kids including playing on the local playground, riding bikes down the flat sidewalks (such a novelty for a San Francisco kid) and, when the rains arrived on Saturday, we checked out the two local kid friendly museums: the train museum and the San Luis Obispo Children’s Museum


 



The only thing missing to complete my SLO tour was a boozy night on the town (which we might have done if I was feeling a little better but it is probably for the best)

SLO is truly one of my happy places and I am hoping to get down there more often with the family!

No comments: