Sunday, September 6, 2020

The Birthday That Wasn’t / So This is 40

I had big plans for my 40th birthday and, considering I normally don’t like celebrating my birthday, this was big for me.  It was going to be epic: 40 days and 40 nights of celebration leading up to the big day in September.  There was going to be a girl’s weekend in SLO, a week-long wellness retreat in Mexico and a two week vacation in Italy with all of my closest friends and family invited.  I had already put a deposit down on our villa in Tuscany at the end of February, had drafted up the email to everyone to lock in the dates and had started planning out the details of flights, logistics and what to pack/wear. 

Two weeks later and everything was cancelled… but, as I celebrated my birthday stateside this past weekend, I am truly not bothered by it. To be honest, while it would have been amazing to see all of my friends and family, the idea of traveling to Europe and hosting a week-long celebration in Tuscany actually sounds exhausting.

I guess this is what being 40 means: hedging expectations, settling for the easiest option and finding contentment in that decision.

Psychological mind games aside, my birthday was incredibly nice. Similar to last year, we spent the occasion up at Dunsmuir, breakfast champagne and afternoon cocktails and all. And while we couldn’t have dinner at Café Maddalena’s, we were able to enjoy fresh picked blackberries with vanilla ice cream for dessert, which is all I had asked for. 




No comments: